2.16.2013

On eating well: Spaghetti Squash With Creamy Avocado Sauce


I have been steadily improving my diet and getting rid of things that aren't helpful to my body and focusing on whole nutrient dense foods. This has not been an easy journey, but it's certainly getting better the more I stick with it. I'm trying not to eat any sugar, except in natural forms like fruit. This also includes avoiding starchy foods like noodles and bread. 

So with these guidelines, I have been forced to get creative with my cooking. I find cooking healthy and eating well to be very rewarding. I'm going to start sharing more of the healthy recipes that I love. 























With that said, I present creamy avocado spaghetti squash. Yum. It's so filling, full of flavor, and nutrient dense. I was inspired to make this recipe from this vegan recipe round up on Oh She Glows. Here is my spin on it. 

Roasting the spaghetti squash:

Start by cutting the spaghetti squash in half length wise.  One trick is to cut the stem and head of the squash off before you cut it length wise. Take out the seeds. Drizzle the squash with olive oil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes or until tender. 

While that is cooking you can make the sauce.

Avocado cream sauce:
1 avocado
2 cloves garlic minced
1 handful of spinach (optional)
2 -4 tablespoons of Greek yogurt 
1/4 cup cashews (soaked in water for a few hours)

Use a blender or food processor to mix this up. If you don't have either just mash it with a fork. 

I garnished with tomatoes because I love the contrast with the green.  Of course you should garnish with whatever you have around. 

Let me know how you like this recipe and if you have any that you want me to try let me know in the comments. 

No comments: